Rumor is Jussie Smollett and his friends– two people who actually appeared as extras on the show “Empire”– staged the attack. Why? It appears that Smollett was about to get booted from the show.
Too much of his story hasn’t added up. And many people had already started to suspect there was something fishy about the alleged hate crime attack against Jussie Smollett.
The “Empire” star spoke to ABC News’ Robin Roberts in his first interview since being attacked on Jan. 29 in what is being investigated as a possible hate crime.
Watch the interview:
Okay sure I gave him the benefit of the doubt because he seemed to be believable in his interview with Robin Roberts. BUT now there’s this:
Chicago police confirmed Thursday that detectives are talking to two persons of interest in connection with the alleged attack on “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett.
Multiple sources have told ABC7 Eyewitness News that police are investigating whether Smollett and the two men staged the attack allegedly because Smollett was being written off of “Empire.”
A source familiar with the investigation told the ABC7 I-Team that Smollett failed to appear for an interview with detectives earlier Thursday.
A source briefed on the Smollett investigation confirmed to ABC News that Chicago police are questioning the two persons of interest — one of whom has appeared on “Empire.”
Earlier, police said the two persons of interest are not suspects and have not been charged. Investigators are only talking with them at this time. The two were picked up Wednesday night at O’Hare International Airport, police said.
Smollett said he was attacked around 2 a.m. on Jan. 29 in the 300-block of East North Water Street in Chicago’s Streeterville neighborhood. He told police two masked men shouted homophobic slurs at him, attacked him, put a rope around his neck and poured a liquid on him that smelled like bleach.
h/t ABC7 Chicago
To be continued… For now I’m giving Smollett the benefit of the doubt.