Warm your belly on a cold and crisp fall day with the BEST cabbage soup.
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 package Jimmy Dean hot sausage
- salt and pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion diced finely
- 2 cloves garlic minced (I used 2 tbsp already minced garlic)
- 4 cups chopped green cabbage (I used one head
- 1 package frozen mixed vegetables
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tbsp. crusehd pepper flakes
In a dutch oven or large soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat add ground beef and sausage.
Season with salt and pepper as desired and cook until browned.
Add diced onion and minced garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes, until onions are tender.
Add in chopped cabbage, mixed vegetables, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, crushed pepper flakes, bay leaf, and sugar and stir to combine.
Bring soup to a simmer and let cook for about 25 minutes, until cabbage is tender.
Take out the bay leaf and serve with cornbread.