Short Ribs over cheesy Polenta
This is one of my favorite meals, but then again there is not many meals that are not my favorite. Start this dish early in the slow cooker it does take awhile to cook but it is so worth it. The ribs fall apart and are full of flavor. Be sure and make plenty you will go back for seconds. I don’t always serve this with the Cheesy Polento sometimes I serve it with potatoes, rice, or my personal favorite is Lentils cooked in a tomato base with frozen Okra cuts (I will post this recipe later it is delicious). Lentils are one of my favorite legumes they are so versatile and make great stews, soups, etc. I have several recipes for the Lentils I will post soon.
Short Ribs over Cheesy Polenta ~
- 2 1/2-3 pounds boneless beef short ribs
- 2 large onions, cut into thin wedges
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots (2 medium)
- 1 medium fennel bulb, cored and cut into thin wedges
- 1 14 1/2 – ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca, crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 recipe Cheesy Polenta (see recipe below)
- Trim fat from meat. In a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker combine onions, carrots, and fennel. Top with meat.
- In a small bowl combine undrained tomatoes, wine, tapioca, tomato paste, dried rosemary, salt, pepper, and garlic. Pour over meat and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4-1/2 to 5 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare Cheesy Polenta. Spoon polenta into shallow bowls. Spoon meat and vegetable mixture over polenta. Makes 6 servings.
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup coarse-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese, blue cheese or shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan bring the 2-1/2 cups water to boiling. Meanwhile, in a bowl stir together cornmeal, the 1 cup cold water, and the salt. Slowly add cornmeal mixture to boiling water, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until mixture returns to boiling. Reduce heat to medium low. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes or until very thick, stirring frequently and adjusting heat as necessary to maintain a very slow boil. Stir in gorgonzola cheese, blue cheese, or Parmesan cheese.
Photo and recipe courtesy of>>>> Midwest Living http://www.midwestliving.com/recipe/beef/short-ribs-over-cheesy-polenta